Samut Sakhon, Central - Thailand
What do you need to know about Samut Sakhon?
Samut Sakhon is one of the central provinces of Thailand and is a part of the Bangkok Metropolitan area. Situated at the mouth of the Tha Chin Klong river which is a distributary of the Chao Phraya River, Samut Sakhon is home to 600,000 people within its borders. The region is dominated with a tropical savanna climate which makes the winters dry and warm. Summer months are usually accompanied by heavy rainfall bringing in cooler winds although the night remains warm. The average temperature during the summer is about 35.4OC and in winters it drops to about 24.0OC. Most of the economy of the region is based on various factories and agriculture. The neighbouring provinces include Samut Songkhram, Ratchaburi, Nakhon Pathom, and Bangkok.
What are the popular attractions in Samut Sakhon?
The province is one of the largest producers of salt, Samut Sakhon is just a short drive from Bangkok. A great place for Thais to spend a holiday for a great experience. Let us take a look at what Samut Sakhon has to offer its visitors.
- Phanthai Norasing Shrine: This shrine dates back all the way to the Ayutthaya period. Visitors can stroll around or take a ride in the surrounding canals. A perfect way to spend your weekend.
Location: Tambon Phantai Norasing, Samut Sakhon.
- Lopburi Museum: Designed by French architects, this Thai museum holds the ruins of King Narai’s palace and several other historic Thai artefacts.
Location: Sorasak Street, Tha Hin, Mueang Lop Buri District, Lop Buri.
- Salt Evaporation Ponds: You can find many salt productions fields along the highway. Stop along the way to witnesses the farmers working and bagging the salt.
Location: Amphoe Mueang.
- Don Hoi Lot: If you are a seafood lover and want to relish your favourite dishes by the lagoon you simply cannot afford to miss this place.
Location: Moo 4, Mueang Samut Songkhram, Samut Songkhram Province.
- Mahachai Seafood Market: This is one of the largest seafood markets in the entire country and caters to the entire population of Bangkok.
- Wichian Chodok Fortress: Built during the reign of King Rama III in 1828 to prevent any type of ambush by sea, this ancient fortress still holds on strong to this very date.
Location: Rawiwong Rd., Maha Chai, Muang Samut Sakhon.
- Wat Krok Krak: Located very close to the Tha Chin River, this ancient temple was built during the reign of King Rama II in the year 1810. The main feature of the temple is that the holy Buddha image wears a glass with dark lenses.
Location: 188 Krok Krak.
- San Chao Pun Tao Gong: This site features brilliant statues and paintings from the Chinese influence. This is a place to worship and the entire site is filled with historical images for the visitors to appreciate.
What is the cost of living and Lifestyle in Samut Sakhon?
Living in Samut Sakhon can prove to be extremely cost-efficient. And especially coming from Western metropolitans, prices do seem to look on the lower end. A meal in an inexpensive restaurant will cost you about 60 Baht while a meal for two at a mid-range restaurant will cost around 550 Baht. Rice and eggs are available at lower costs. A kg of rice costs around 43 Baht and a dozen eggs will cost you somewhere around 60 Baht. Transportation is also available readily across the region. A taxi ride starts from 35 Baht while a litre of gasoline would cost about 25-30 Baht.
What are the average house and condo sale prices in Samut Sakhon?
When you are looking to move to Samut Sakhon from a different areay, chances are, if you are moving from a western city, you will find the prices to be within range. Prices for houses for sale can be somewhere in the range of 1.95 Million Baht to about 15 Million Bhat depending on the location and type of property. In cases of condo for sale, prices range from 1 Million Baht to about 5 million Baht depending on the location. The area also features a number Shoppingmalls and big super mrkets such as Big C and Tesco. A membership in a fitness club will cost around a thousand Baht every month.
What is the current Real Estate in Samut Sakhon?
If you are looking for condo for rent near the seaside or the downtown it will cost you somewhere between 6,0000 Baht to 9,0000 Baht per month. condo for rent outside the main area typically ranges from 4,000 Baht to 7,000 Baht. Other basic home amenities such as electricity charges, internet charges and air conditioning can range between 2,500 Baht every month. These charges are very less when compared to Europe and other western countries. This is the best time to invest in some really gorgeous real estate in Samut Sakhon, with its close proximity to Bangkok and abundance of natural beauty buying a condo or a villa is a great choice if you are looking for a peaceful retirement home. From cosy one-bedroom apartments to luxurious beachfront villas, Samut Sakhon has something for every budget. If you are planning to raise your kids in the city, kindergartens charge about 5,000 - 7,000 Baht every month while International primary schools cost about 100K to 350K Baht every year for each child.